Energizing Turkey Black Bean Chilli Recipe
This Turkey Black Bean Chilli recipe makes the perfect weekday meal, and an inexpensive meal if you are catering for a large group, such as having relatives coming over. You can cook this in advance and just heat it up and eat it later.
If you have people that don’t like vegetables, you can easily hide vegetables such as broccoli and carrots in this by blending them finely and adding to the mix.
I have included this in my ‘energizing’ foods because it is high in protein, which is good for giving us energy and the black beans contain starch which the body can easily digest and use for energy without spiking blood sugar levels.
Black beans are also a good source of vitamin B1 (Thiamin) which is important for energy creation, they are also a good source of folate. Without sufficient folate in the body, you won’t efficiently deliver oxygen to where it needs to go in the body to be used as energy. Therefore, deficiencies in both of these b vitamins often result in fatigue.
Turkey is also a great source of vitamin B6 which is essential for boosting the bodies energy production. Being a lean meat it is also great if you are watching the calories.
I have added turmeric to this recipe for its anti-inflammatory properties, if you don’t have turmeric, the recipe can still work without it.
The chilli is very versatile so you can eat with it with a jacket potato or sweet jacket potato or just some steamed rice or quinoa. Adding some spinach, avocado or watercress on top, gives this an extra nutritional boost, adding some Greek yogurt or tzatziki will also add an additional amount of protein.
I hope you enjoy it and don’t forget to let me know how you got on.
Do you have a variation on this one that you would like to share? I would love to hear about it.
Please leave your comments below 🙂
See more energizing recipes here:
- 500g Minced Turkey
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 tin plummed chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped into small chunks
- 3 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 can of chilli black beans in chilli sauce (alternatively, use a can of black beans without the sauce and add a couple of teaspoons of chilli powder, depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 chicken stock cube made up with 450ml of hot water
- 4 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 dessertspoon of honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 tablespoon of flour with a little water
- Chop the onion, peppers up into small chunks, and add to a casserole dish, or slow cooker. Add the chopped/crushed garlic and tin of tomatoes.
- Add the minced turkey and the can of chilli beans with the sauce.
- Make up the stock and add to the rest of the ingredients
- Finally add the herbs, spices, honey or maple syrup
- Make a paste with the flour and a little water and add to the other ingredients
- Mix well, and season with the black pepper.
- If cooking in the slow cooker, cook for around 8 hours, if cooking in the oven, cook for around 1 ½ hours on 180 degrees, 350F.
Leave a Reply