If you are looking for a healthier alternative to a tasty pancake then this is one to try. I have not used processed sugar in this recipe, but it does contain honey which is still a sugar, so I have put these pancakes in my ‘Naughty But Nice’ section, but they could easily be called happy foods, or brain foods. The Buckwheat flour contains more protein, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, potassium, Manganese, and has a lower GI than normal all purpose white flour.
These pancakes are a great little snack when you are feeling peckish, come in hungry after work, or if you need something to give you an energy boost. They also make a great after school snack.
If you have too many, you can freeze them for another day. The Mango Banana Sauce works really well with these pancakes. If you prefer you could experiment with different fruits, such as raspberries or pineapples, apples, or just pick fruits that are in season.
Blueberry Pancakes with Mango & Banana Sauce (Gluten Free)
Makes 14 small pancakes
4 Cups of Wholemeal Buckwheat Flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 cups coconut milk (pouring type, not canned, I used Alpro coconut milk)
1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds (optional)
1 punnet of fresh blueberries
1-3 tablespoons of coconut oil or olive oil for frying
2 eggs (free range, organic if possible)
Mango and Banana Sauce
½ large mango
1 medium banana
1. Crack the eggs in a small bowl and whisk, add to a large mixing bowl and add all the other ingredients together other than the blueberries.
2. Mix until the batter is smooth with no lumps
3. Allow the batter to stand for 10 minutes
4. Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a shallow or pancake pan
5. Once the oil is hot, add ¼ cup of the pancake batter to the hot pan
6. Carefully place approx. 5-6 blueberries spaced apart on the pancake, and flip over after 1-2 minutes once bubbles appear in the batter.
7. Once the pancakes have been cooked set to one side.
8. Make the sauce by adding the mango, lime and banana to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
9. Place pancakes on a plate with extra blueberries and drizzle over the sauce.