Honey Orange Chicken with pineapple and almond couscous
This is a lovely summer dish where the chicken can be cooked on the barbeque and served with the sauce on the side. I think the pineapple works well with the sliced almonds, but I did not add coriander to the couscous which I will when I cook it again. So I have added it to the ingredients below. This one is my own creation and I think it works well, with a good combination of flavours and a balance of carbs and protein with anti- inflammatory turmeric. A good example of a ‘happy food dish’ with hues of oranges and lemon.
Honey orange chicken
• 700g Chicken breast fillets
• 2 Oranges
• 1 teaspoon of turmeric
• 2 tbsp. honey
• 3 tsp of cornflour added to 300ml cold water
• 1tsp good quality low salt soy sauce
• 1tsp unsalted good quality butter
• 1 lime and lime zest
• Zest and juice the oranges and the lime. Place in a bowl
• Add the honey and mix with the soy sauce, add to the juice and zest.
• Mix the cornflour with the water and add 3 tbsp. of the cornflour to the orange mixture.
• Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the orange sauce mixture
• Stir gently over a low heat for approx. 8 minutes until the sauce thickens, stirring all the time.
• Once cooled add 3 tbsp. of the orange sauce to the chicken and allow to marinate for approx. 15-20 mins or longer, reserving the rest of the sauce, keeping it warm for later.
• Place the chicken on a grill or over a barbeque spooning the orange sauce over occasionally for 15-20 minutes until cooked.
Pineapple and Almond Couscous
• 200g plain couscous (2 cups)
• 1 fresh pineapple peeled and chopped into small chunks
• 1 dessertspoon maple syrup or honey (opt)
• 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 300ml water
• a handful or coriander
• Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius/gas mark 4
• Chop, peel and core the pineapple, cut into small chunks
• Drizzle maple syrup or honey and olive oil over the pineapple on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
• Cook for approx. 20 minutes until golden
• Make couscous using 300ml of cold water and 200g couscous
• Place the water in a pan until boiling, add the 200g couscous, stir and simmer for 5 minutes, separate grains before serving and add pineapple and almonds, mixing evenly.
• Chop coriander and add to the couscous
• Serve with the chicken and the reserved orange sauce.